“The process of going through a divorce, a custody proceeding or domestic violence case is extremely stressful. Let us help you get through it.”

“El estrés de ir al juzgado por una causa de divorcio, una custodia, o por un caso de manutención infantil, así como por violencia doméstica, es enorme. Le podemos ayudar en esta situaciones.”

“The process of going through a domestic violence case is extremely painful and intimidating. Let us help you get through it.”

Domestic Violence can be physically hurting or trying to hurt someone, intentionally or recklessly; Sexual assault; Making someone reasonably afraid that they or someone else are about to be seriously hurt (like threats or promises to harm someone online or in person); OR Behavior like harassing, stalking, threatening, or hitting someone; disturbing someone’s peace; or destroying someone’s personal property. Abuse can be verbal (spoken), emotional, or psychological. You do not have to be physically hit to be abused. Often, abuse takes many forms, and abusers use a combination of tactics to control and have power over the person being abused.

An act of domestic violence can be done by a spouse, a former spouse, any other person who is a present or former household member, or a person with whom the you have a child in common with.

If you are being abused in any of these ways or you feel afraid or controlled by your partner or someone you are close with, it may help you to talk to a domestic violence counselor, even if you do not want (or are not sure if you want) to ask for legal protection.

In New Jersey, a domestic violence complaint can be filed at the family courthouse in your county or at your local police station. After the complaint has been filed, you will be interviewed by a probation officer and heard as soon as possible before a judge or domestic violence hearing officer. If the judge or domestic violence hearing officer feels that the complaint falls within the guidelines of domestic violence, you will be issued a Temporary Restraining Order / TRO. A final hearing will be scheduled within 10 days. At the final hearing the Judge will hear testimony from you and the defendant. You both will also have an opportunity to present witnesses and evidence. At the end of the trial the Judge will be decided whether an act of domestic violence occurred and whether a Final Domestic Violence Restraining Order / FRO is necessary to protect the plaintiff.

Call our office today at 862-241-1228 to find out more about obtaining a restraining order or having our office represent you.

Domestic Violence Restraining Orders Have Consequences that can Last A Lifetime.

In New Jersey a Final Restraining Order is for life. It does not expire. It also has many ramifications. If a permanent restraining order is issued against you, the defendant, will have to submit your DNA into a nationwide database, your firearms license will be revoked, and you will never be able to apply for a firearms license in the future. A Final Restraining Order may also affect your employment and ability to maintain certain professional licenses. It can also affect your custody and visitation rights with your children.

Call our office today at 862-241-1228 to learn more about the domestic violence laws of new jersey and how to defend against a restraining order.

“El estrés de ir al juzgado por un caso de violencia doméstica, es enorme y puede ser increíblemente intimidatorio y doloroso. Le podemos ayudar con este proceso”

Para que usted tenga derecho a una orden de protección se tienen que dar estos dos casos. Primero, tiene que existir un acto de violencia doméstica y segundo, este acto tiene que darse entre usted y su pareja actual o del pasado, o con quien conviva ahora o en el pasado, o tenga un hijo en común.

¿Qué significa exactamente la violencia doméstica? Es cuando se produce una agresión, acoso, acecho, amenaza terrorista, secuestro, encarcelamiento contra la voluntad de la persona, agresión sexual, coerción criminal, daño a la propiedad, acoso cibernético y otro tipo de casos.

En Nueva Jersey, se puede presentar una denuncia por violencia doméstica en la Corte de Familia de su condado o en la comisaría de la policía local. Después de que se haya presentado la denuncia. Si el juez considera que la denuncia está dentro de los criterios de violencia doméstica, se le emitirá una Orden de Restricción Temporal / “TRO”. Esta orden es temporal y usted tendrá que acudir nuevamente para un juicio final en la Corte de Familia en el plazo de 10 días. En el juicio final, el juez escuchará su testimonio de el del acusado. Ambos tendrán la oportunidad de presentar testigos y pruebas. Para emitir una Orden Final de Restricción (“FRO”), el juez tiene que establecer que existió un acto de violencia doméstica y que existe la necesidad de proteger al demandante frente al agresor.

En Nueva Jersey, una Orden de Restricción Final es de por vida y tiene muchas consecuencias. Si se emite una Orden de Restricción Final contra usted tendrá que enviar su ADN a una base de datos nacional, su licencia de armas de fuego será
 revocada y nunca podrá solicitar una licencia de armas de fuego en el futuro. Una Orden de Restricción Final también puede afectar a su empleo y a su capacidad para mantener ciertas licencias profesionales.

Llame a nuestra oficina cuanto antes 862-241-1228 para obtener más información sobre cómo obtener una Orden de Restricción o defenderse contra una.

In New Jersey, either parent can have custody of the children, or the parents can share custody. The judge makes the final decision about custody and visitation but usually will approve the arrangement (the parenting plan) that both parents agree on. If the parents cannot agree, the judge will make a decision at a court hearing. The judge will usually not make a decision about custody and visitation until after the parents have attended a parent education seminar in the Courthouse.

In New Jersey there are two kinds of child custody:

1. Legal custody, which means who makes important decisions for your children (like health care, education, and welfare), and
2. Physical/Residential custody, which means who your children live with.

Legal custody can be:

Joint, where both parents share the right and responsibility to make the important decisions about the health, education, and welfare of the children.


Sole, where only 1 parent has the right and responsibility to make the important decisions about the health, education, and welfare of the children.

Parents with legal custody make decisions or choices about their children’s:

• School or childcare
• Religious activities or institutions
• Psychiatric, psychological, or other mental health counseling or therapy needs
• Doctor, dentist, orthodontist, or other health professional (except in emergency situations)
• Sports, summer camp, vacation, or extracurricular activities
• Travel
• Residence (where the children will live)

Parents who share legal custody both have the right to make decisions about these aspects of their children’s lives, but they do not have to agree on every decision. Either parent can make a decision alone. But to avoid having problems and ending up back in court, both parents should communicate with each other and cooperate in making decisions together.

Physical custody can be:

• Joint, which means that the children live with both parents.
• Sole or primary, which means the children live with 1 parent most of the time and usually visit the other parent.
• Joint physical custody does not mean that the children must spend exactly half the time with each parent. Usually the children spend a little more time with 1 parent than the other because it is too hard to split the time exactly in half.

When 1 parent has the children more than half of the time, then that parent is sometimes called the “primary custodial parent.”

Sometimes, a judge gives parents joint legal custody, but not joint physical custody. This means that both parents share the responsibility for making important decisions in the children’s lives, but the children live with 1 parent most of the time. The parent who does not have physical custody usually has visitation / parenting time with the children.

In times where the Judge is asked to make a decision regarding custody and visitation because the parties do not have an agreement the Court will evaluate 14 factors to determine what type of custody and visitation schedule is in the best interest of the child. These Fourteen Factors are part of the NJ Statute N.J.S.A. 9:2-4 (c) and include the following:

1. the parents’ ability to agree, communicate and cooperate in matters relating to the child;
2. the parents’ willingness to accept custody and any history of unwillingness to allow parenting time not based on substantiated abuse;
3. the interaction and relationship of the child with its parents and siblings;
4. the history of domestic violence, if any;
5. the safety of the child and the safety of either parent from physical abuse by the other parent;
6. the preference of the child when of sufficient age and capacity to reason so as to form an intelligent decision;
7. the needs of the child;
8. the stability of the home environment offered;
9. the quality and continuity of the child’s education;
10. the fitness of the parents;
11. the geographical proximity of the parents’ homes;
12. the extent and quality of the time spent with the child prior to or subsequent to the separation;
13. the parents’ employment responsibilities; and
14. the age and number of the children.

A parent shall not be deemed unfit unless the parents’ conduct has a substantial adverse effect on the child.

En Nueva Jersey, cualquiera de los dos progenitores puede ejercer la custodia de sus hijos, ya sea, la custodia en exclusiva de los hijos, o bien, la custodia de forma compartida. El juez es quien adoptará la decisión final sobre el establecimiento de la custodia y en su caso, el derecho a visitas, pero en general aprobará la propuesta (plan de parentalidad) efectuada por los dos progenitores, si existe acuerdo entre ellos. Si los progenitores no se pueden poner de acuerdo, el juez será quien adopte la decisión en una audiencia en el Juzgado. En la practica, el juez no adoptará una decisión sobre el derecho de custodia y a visitas hasta que los padres hayan asistido a un seminario de educación para padres en la Corte de Familia.

Tipos de custodia

Existen dos tipos de custodia de los hijos:

1. Custodia legal, es decir, quién o a qué progenitor le corresponde adoptar las decisiones importantes sobre sus hijos (como salud, educación y bienestar); y
2. Custodia física, es decir, con quién viven sus hijos.

La custodia legal puede ser:

  • Conjunta/compartida, en la que ambos padres comparten el derecho y la responsabilidad de adoptar las decisiones importantes sobre la salud, educación y el bienestar de sus hijos.
  • Exclusiva, en la que sólo uno de los progenitores tendrá la responsabilidad de adoptar las decisiones importantes sobre la salud, educación y el bienestar de sus hijos.

Los padres que tienen la custodia legal pueden adoptar las decisiones y por tanto elegir:

  • La escuela o guardería de sus hijos
  • Las actividades o instituciones religiosas de sus hijos
  • La decisión para realizar tratamientos psiquiátricos, psicológicos o cualquier otro tratamiento necesario de salud mental para sus hijos.
  • El médico, dentista de ortodoncia u otro profesional médico de sus hijos (excepto en casos de emergencia)
  • Los deportes, campamentos veraniegas, vacaciones o actividades extraescolares de sus hijos
  • Los viajes de sus hijos
  • La residencia (dónde vivirán sus hijos)

Si los padres comparten la custodia legal, ambos tienen el derecho de adoptar las decisiones sobre estos aspectos de las vidas de sus hijos, si bien, puede ocurrir que no estén de acuerdo en todas las cuestiones relativas a sus hijos. En este caso cada padre puede adoptar la decisión por si mismo, pero con el fin de evitar problemas y tener que volver a acudir al juzgado, los padres deben comunicarse entre sí y cooperar para la adopción de las decisiones de común acuerdo.

La custodia física puede ser:

  • Conjunta/compartida, que quiere decir que los hijos viven con ambos padres.
  • Exclusiva o primaria, que quiere decir que los hijos viven con un progenitor la mayor parte del tiempo y, en general, tendrán el derecho de visita al otro.
  • La custodia física conjunta/compartida no quiere decir que los niños deban estar exactamente el mismo tiempo con cada uno de sus progenitores, sino que se establecerá conforme a las circunstancias siendo habitual que los niños puedan estar mas tiempo con uno de los progenitores, al no ser necesario un reparto exacto e igualitario de los tiempos, sino conforme a la mejor situación y beneficio de los hijos .

Cuando uno de los padres tiene a sus hijos más de la mitad del tiempo, a veces se le llama “padre con custodia primaria”.

A veces, el juez otorga a los padres custodia legal conjunta pero no custodia física conjunta. Esto quiere decir que ambos padres comparten la responsabilidad de tomar las decisiones importantes en las vidas de sus hijos, aunque el periodo de convivencia con uno de los padres sea superior al tiempo de convivencia con el otro. El padre que no tiene la custodia física, en general, tiene derechos a visitas con los hijos.

En aquellos casos en que se le solicita al juez que adopte una decisión en cuanto al derecho de custodia y régimen de visitas por imposibilidad de acuerdo entre los padres, el Tribunal evaluará 14 factores para determinar qué tipo de custodia y horario de visitas son los mejores para el niño. Estos catorce factores son parte de N.J.S.A. 9: 2-4 (c) e incluyen lo siguiente:

  1. 1. la Capacidad de los padres para llegar a acuerdos, comunicarse y cooperar en asuntos relacionados con el niño;
  2. la Disposición de los padres para aceptar la custodia y si hay un historial de falta de voluntad para permitir visitas que no este fundamentado en abusos comprobados;
  3. la Interacción y relación del niño con sus padres y hermanos;
  4. la Historia de la violencia doméstica, si existe o ha existido;
  5. la Seguridad del niño y la seguridad de cualquiera de los padres en. cuanto al posible abuso físico por parte del otro padre;
  6. la Preferencia del niño si tiene edad y capacidad suficientes para razonar y formar una decisión inteligente;
  7. las necesidades del niño;
  8. la Estabilidad y seguridad del hogar donde viven los padres.;
  9. la calidad y continuidad de la educación del niño;
  10. la salud mental y física de los padres;
  11. la proximidad geográfica de los hogares de los padres;
  12. la cantidad y calidad del tiempo vivido con el niño antes o después de la separación;
  13. las responsabilidades laborales de los padres; y
  14. la edad y el número de niños.

La ley establece que cada padre tendrá la oportunidad de ejercer la custodia de los hijos, salvo que su conducta pueda ser perjudicial o tener un efecto negativo importante para los hijos.

What is international child abduction?
International child abduction is when a parent unlawfully transfers or retains children in a country other than that of the minor’s habitual residence, without the consent or authorization of the other parent and, without judicial authorization, thus violating the custody rights or visitation rights of the other parent.

The right of custody or visitation may result from a judicial decision or from an agreement in force under the Law of the other Country. (Art. 3 of the 1980 Hague Convention)

Maritza Rodríguez specializes in international child abduction and collaborates with lawyers from different countries such as the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Switzerland in Europe, as well as Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador and Mexico when necessary. International Child Abduction Cases can be handled in State or in Federal Courts.

If your child has been abducted to New Jersey, call our office to discuss your case and how to proceed in this matter.

If you are a parent looking to relocate out of the state of New Jersey, you must obtain permission from either your ex or the Court before moving out of the state with your children. If you cannot obtain permission from your ex-spouse, you will need to be prepared to argue to the Court why it is in your children’s best interest to relocate. The Courts will review your case using the Best Interest Standards that are also used in custody determinations. If you have a question about the relocation of your children out of state, you need to consult an expert on NJ divorce law. Call our office to set up a consultation.

Reubicación y casos internacionales de secuestro de menores

¿Qué es la sustracción internacional de menores?
Se considera sustracción internacional de menores cuando un progenitor se traslada o retiene ilícitamente a los hijos en otro país distinto al de la residencia habitual de los menores, sin el consentimiento ni autorización del otro progenitor y, sin autorización judicial, vulnerando de esta forma el derecho de custodia o de visitas del otro progenitor.

El derecho de custodia o visitas puede resultar de una atribución de pleno derecho, de una decisión judicial o de un acuerdo vigente según el Derecho de dicho Estado. (art. 3 del Convenio de la Haya de 1980)

Maritza Rodríguez es especialista en sustracción internacional de menores, teniendo colaboración con abogados de diferentes países, como Reino Unido, Francia, Italia, Suiza en Europa, así como Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Republica Dominicana, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador y México entre otros, a los efectos de la necesaria colaboración en este tipo de procedimientos.

Llame a nuestra oficina para hablar también sobre la reubicación de su familia de Nueva Jersey a otro estado en los Estados Unidos u otro país.

Si está buscando reubicarse fuera del estado de Nueva Jersey con su hijo, comuníquese con nuestra oficina para que podamos guiarlo y hacerle saber qué pasos debe seguir y cuál es la ley de reubicación en Nueva Jersey.

Court orders and agreements related to child custody and child support, as well as alimony, are always subject to change if there is a substantial change in circumstances. Some examples of changed circumstances may be if you retired from your job, if you suffered a disability, if your former spouse has had a significant increase in your financial status or if you have had a significant decrease in your financial status.

You may also need to modify your agreement because you need to change the visitation schedule or custody arrangement. You may also need to change the agreement because child support needs to be recalculated or your child has become emancipated or going off to college.

Call us to set up an appointment to discuss:

  • Modifying your child custody agreement
  • Changing or ending alimony payments
  • Changing or ending child support agreements
  • Enforcing a divorce settlement agreement

Las órdenes y acuerdos judiciales relacionados con la custodia y la manutención de los hijos, así como la pensión alimenticia, siempre están sujetos a modificación si hay un cambio sustancial en las circunstancias. Algunos ejemplos de cambio en las circunstancias pueden ser si se retiró de su trabajo, si sufrió una discapacidad, si su ex ha tenido un aumento significativo en su estado financiero, si ha tenido una disminución significativa en su estado financiero.

También es posible que deba modificar su acuerdo porque necesita cambiar el régimen de visitas para establecer más tiempo, solicitar la custodia de sus hijos o emancipar a su hijo.

Llame y consulte con nosotros para que podamos ayudarlo:

  • Modificar su acuerdo de custodia de los hijos
  • Cambiar o terminar los pagos de pensión alimenticia
  • Cambiar o terminar los acuerdos de manutención infantil
  • Hacer cumplir un acuerdo de divorcio